Tips on Eating Out and About
Read these tips to get savvy on eating out, and set yourself up for success!
1. Don’t go out to a meal completely famished – have a healthy snack ahead of time: i.e. carrots and hummus, ham and cheese, scoop or two of almond butter, handful of nuts.
2. Ask for a glass of room temperature water with lemon – cold water impedes digestion.
3. Don’t eat the bread unless it’s really worth it.
4. Order tapas style – take your time and enjoy each dish.
5. Share appetizers and entrees or ask for a to go box at the same time your food is delivered.
6. Order dishes with a protein: i.e. shrimp cocktail, oysters, sushi, duck tacos, etc.
7. Wait to order the booze – alcohol spikes the blood sugar and can cause you to eat more! Order the alcohol with the meal, as protein with the alcohol will help you eat less.
8. Eat in a calm, happy atmosphere for better digestion – stress causes you to eat more and the blood goes to the limbs.
9. 80/20 rule – 80% makes up your health, 20% fun.
Sugar: alcohol, bread, pasta, rice, desert – choose one or two. Pick and choose what is worth it for you!
10. Ask for gluten free menu or gluten free options – this will cut down on the amount of sugar you are consuming automatically.
11. Ask to have your food cooked in butter – most restaurants use canola and soybean oil which are not beneficial to your health.
Leave a Reply